Keeping some healing herbs and spices at hand this flu season can give you the protection you need. Regardless of the taste and smell, these home remedies actually work wonders. While synthetic medicines provide fast relief, alternative medicines have no negative side-effects. So, let’s review NDTV’s article to learn more about the natural healing herbs you need to stay healthy this flu season.
Securing Healing Herbs and Spices this Flu Season
Winter is here and while you may be enjoying the chilly breeze after a hot summer, it also marks the beginning of the flu season, also known as Influenza. Influenza is a viral infection that is common during the winter season. Most people confuse it with common cold because both are respiratory illnesses and have similar symptoms, but they are caused by different viruses. The flu spreads very easily and affects your lungs, throat, and nose. You can protect yourself during flu season, or heal most of the symptoms if you happen to catch flu, by using these kitchen herbs and spices that act as effective home remedies.
Flu season is the time when our immune system is being attacked. Though we don’t skip our vitamins and healthy diet, viral infections can effortlessly target our body. The worst part is, we can sometimes be defenseless. However, securing healing herbs and spices in your kitchen is a game-changer. Apart from adding flavors to your dishes, some spices can be part of your home remedy kits too. The best thing about home remedies is that you can save money by and maximizing the herbs and spices you already own.
Healing Herbs and Spices as Home Remedies
The kitchen herbs and spices you’re taking for granted can serve as home remedies. These may seem like normal ingredients you store in your kitchen, but once you know their healing powers, you won’t let them out of your sight. Here are some of the healing herbs and spices you should have on hand this flu season:
- Cinnamon – Known to treat the common cold and sore throat, cinnamon has always been the elders’ favorite. If you feel the early symptoms of cold, don’t hesitate to make yourself a cup of honey with cinnamon right away.
- Ginger – Raw ginger roots are the key to soothe symptoms such as dizziness and cold sweats. Also, these can be used to make herbal tea to treat a cough.
- Licorice – Another home remedy to treat a cough is licorice root. With its anti-viral effects, it is known for its power against the flu and other related diseases.
- Thyme – If you want to soothe congestion, then you can create a cup of thyme tea. You can also boil the herbs with water and smell the aroma for positive effects.
- Turmeric – The best option to fight flu is a glass of turmeric milk. With its healing properties, your immune system will be strengthened and your body can be protected.
- Mint – If you’re having a hard time with indigestion or a stuffy nose, then mint is what you need. It soothes the tummy and the throat, through its cooling sensation and fragrant herbs.
Opt for Healing Herbs and Spices at All Times
— Feast in a Basket (@feastinabasket) November 6, 2017
Herbs and spices are mostly associated with cooking. But that’s not their only purpose. Their healing properties are proven effective. However, we should not rely on their health benefits alone. This flu season, we also need to take care of ourselves by eating healthy, exercising, and getting enough sleep.
Are you a believer in the power of herbs and spices? If yes, then you better watch this video to learn more about home remedies for flu season:
Do you have anything else to add to our list of healing herbs and spices? We’d like to hear it in the comments section below!